These are somewhere in between a muffin and a cupcake. The original recipe had a frosting on them, but they really don’t need it.
Adapted from Martha Stewart
- 2.5 cups organic all purpose flour
- 2 t baking powder
- ½ t sea salt
- 2/3 c organic rice milk
- 2 t organic pure vanilla extract
- ¾ c organic palm shortening
- 1.5 c organic evaporated cane juice
- 4 large organic eggs
- 4 medium-large organic peaches, peeled, pitted, and finely chopped (~1.5 cups) (nectarines, plums, apricots, or any stone fruit will work)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix together all of the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, sea salt). Set aside.
- Stir vanilla extract into the rice milk in a liquid measuring cup.
- In another bowl, beat palm shortening and evaporated cane juice with a mixer on medium speed. Add eggs, one at a time. Beat in flour mixture in three additions, alternating twice with milk mixture.
- Line a standard muffin tin with baking cups. This recipe will not work right without paper baking cups! Fill each with 3 layers: 1 tablespoon batter, 1 tablespoon chopped peaches, and an additional 1 tablespoon batter. Bake until edges begin to turn golden, about 25 minutes. Let cool in tin.
Makes about 18-20 cupcakes.