crockpot, Crockpot Meals, dairy free, egg free, gluten free, meatloaf, nut free, options, soy free
This recipe is very forgiving in terms of allergens. You can omit or substitute several things and still have it come out incredibly well. Possible adaptions are listed below in the ingredients list.
Please note that my crockpot is from 1994, so it doesn’t cook as fast as more modern ones. You may need to shorten the cooking times to work with your crockpot.
Crockpot Italian Meatloaf
- 2 pounds extra lean organic or grass-fed beef
- 1.5 cups bread or cracker crumbs (use gluten free crumbs for a GF recipe)
- 1 organic egg (omit for egg free option)
- 3/4 cup organic pasta sauce of your choice
- 2 tablespoons organic minced dried onion
- 1 teaspoon organic garlic powder
- 1.5 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon organic ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon organic Italian seasoning
- another 3/4 cup organic pasta sauce
- 3 slices or 3 ounces (give or take) organic mozzarella or 3/4 cup organic parmesan cheese (omit for dairy free option)
In a large bowl, mix together all of the ingredients except the last two. Using your hands is easiest. Form the mixture into a large ball and then place in the bottom of the crockpot. Gently flatten the ball to the bottom of the crockpot though not all the way to the edges of the pot; do not tightly compact the loaf. Spread the remaining 3/4 cup organic pasta over the top. Put the lid on the crockpot.
Plug in and turn on. Cook for 2.5-3 hours on high or 5-6 hours on low.
About 15 minutes (high) or 30 minute (low) before being done, sprinkle the cheese (if using) across the top of the meatloaf. Cover again and let finish cooking.
To serve, cut into wedges. Tastes great when served with leafy greens, a salad, or steamed broccoli.